Monday, July 1, 2013

It's Not All Roses

II love writing and posting pictures of Kendall and Kylie and telling about the funny, cute and crazy stuff they do on a daily basis. But, as much as I want to keep this blog lighthearted, life happens and not everything is always going to be roses.

Kevin was out of town on work travel last week, so obviously I have to take care of all the daily household responsibilties. No biggie. He's out of town usually 3-4 times a year, so the girls and I power through for a few days.

Tuesday morning, I was going through the normal routine. Kevin usually takes the girls to Rachel's in the morning, but I've done it, so I know the routine well. I got the girls breakfast, brushed teeth, washed hands, and we were ready to go. I just needed to take a few things out to my car and let the dogs out. We have an invisible fence, so I let the dogs out, opened the garage, took a few things out to the car, and went out onto the driveway to get the dogs inside.

When I was walking down the driveway, my neighbor across the street was walking down his driveway with his labradoodle. Bono hates this dog, always has. I think it is because he's hyper and always jumping and barking, but who knows. They walked in front of our house on the street while I was trying to corrall our dogs and get them inside. Bono was flipping out, when all of a sudden he decided he didn't care about the fence any longer and ran out into the street after the other dog. Mullen (thankfully) stayed put firmly in our yard.

Bono attacked the other dog. It was nothing short of terrible. My neighbor got in the middle of them and fell while trying to break them up. I was just yelling. Finally, Bono let go and ran up our driveway. My neighbor yelled and said his dog was hurt. He also threatened Bono (which I thought was just a "heat of the moment" type threat.) I got Bono inside. The girls were fine (thank god). Kylie was watching the whole thing, I'm pretty sure. She said something about "Bono fighting". Kendall was watching TV, so she was oblivious. I was obviously shaken up. Bono's paw had a few gashes, and I saw our neighbor go tearing down the street with his dog (I assumed) in the car. And Kevin was gone. I had no idea what to do. After talking to Kevin, he convinced me to just wrap Bono's paw and go to work. When I was loading the girls in the car, I noticed my neighbor had returned. I got Kylie latched in her carseat, left the door open, and took Kendall to go talk to him. I asked if his dog was ok. He said he was going to be fine. He just had a few puncture wounds in his rear and was going to be treated. I did the mature thing and started crying and apologized all over myself. I also offered to take care of the vet bill. He told me it was ok, but "we better do something about that dog, or I will", and left it at that. Pretty much with that, I told him I needed to get back to my other little one.

It was a rough couple days for Kevin to be gone.  Bono either goes out on a leash now or is on a lead in the backyard.  He no longer allowed to run free in the yard. We cannot risk this happening again. 

Now we're at a crossroads.  Maybe he would be better in a home with no kids or other pets that he could have a large fenced in area to run in.  But, I don't want to give him up.  He's our dog.  We all love him.  We've had him since he was 12 weeks old.  It's just a lose-lose situation.

**Edited to add:  There is a lot more behind this situation than I wrote about.  We probably wouldn't be entertaining the idea of re-homing him based on this incident alone.  We feel it is best to do for his sanity and safety, and to prevent any further incidents similar to this one***

No comments:

Post a Comment