Monday, March 18, 2013

Healthy(ish) Eating

So, I've been trying to eat a bit healthier lately. I would really just like to cut down on the sugar and processed foods. I have never eaten terribly to begin with, but we all have a little room for improvement right?!? My big, huge weakness is Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi. I kicked it when I was pregnant with the girls, but after I gave birth, I got back on the bandwagon. I try not to read about aspartame since I know its so SO terrible for you. I talked to Kevin about getting a Soda Stream as a way to still quench my need for carbonation, but cut out the crappy diet soda. We'll see.

But to be honest, I truly believe in everything in moderation. As long as you don't overdo it, I really don't think eating a "bad" food here and there is the end of the the world.

Anyway, I got this recipe from my friend Brittany, and I'm not sure where she got it from or I would credit the source. I also made some modifications from the original recipe.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Energy Bites - makes 10

1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1/3 cup flax seed
2.5 Tablespoons honey*
1/2 cup pb2**
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips***
1 tsp vanilla extract

*Original recipe called for 1/3 cup honey. I cut it down a bit, and it worked fine!
**pb2 is powdered peanut butter. It's not bad. I mixed about 4T of powder to 2T of water and it made about a 1/2 cup. It's the consistency of peanut butter, but not "quite" the flavor. It's not bad though, and works just as well as peanut butter for recipes, with less fat and calories. If you don't have pb2 on hand, regular peanut butter would work fine!

You can find pb2 at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's or (my old standby) Amazon!

***The original recipe called for 1/2 cup of chocolate chips which would be far too much in my opinion. 1/4 cup was perfect!


1. Mix all ingredients together with a spoon



2. Form into balls and let sit


3. Enjoy!

I also tried the below recipe yesterday (thanks Pinterest!)  I only used one banana, and cannot wait to use the other four I have cut up in my freezer right now.

http://userealbutter.com/2010/08/12/single-ingredient-ice-cream-recipe/

I cannot believe how creamy and truly ice-cream(ish) this turned out. I just tried it yesterday with plain banana, but I may mix in some pb2 and cocoa powder or a small amount of chocolate chips for my next batch. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment