Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Turkey Meatloaves - with a Greek Twist


I have mentioned before that I love Pinterest. I really (really) love gathering recipes from Pinterest. I've made a quite a few recipes, but this one I really wanted to share. I cut the recipe down to two servings (it's a bit too "advanced" for the girls), and changed things up a bit.

(adapted from iowagirleats.com)

(serves 2)

Meatloaves

1/2 lb ground turkey (I used the 93% lean)
1/2 an egg (or as close as you can get)
1/8 c plain breadcrumbs (she used panko, and I only had plain on hand. Worked perfectly).
1/8 c feta cheese
1/8 c kalamata olives cut in half
1t dried parsley (she used fresh)
2 green onions chopped (she used red onion)
1/8 c hummus (I used Sabra Original) Reserve some extra for topping.
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 t dried basil
1/8 t dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Cucumber/Tomato Topping

1/4 english cucumber, chopped (I did not peel, but feel free to!)
1/2 large tomato, chopped
2T fresh basil, chopped
juice from 1/2 a lemon
1/2 t Olive Oil
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 425. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl, combine all meatloaf ingredients, and mix until combined. (I find it easiest just to mix with my hands).



3. Divide mixture into 2 equal sized portions. Shape into loaves, and set on baking sheet.



4. Spread extra hummus over each loaf and place into oven.



5. Cook 40 minutes or until internal temp reads at least 165 degrees. (She only had it listed to bake for 18-20 minutes. It may be my crappy oven, but I found they needed at least double that amount of time!)

6. While the meatloaves are cooking, mix together topping ingredients.

7. Top cooked meatloaves with cucumber mixture, and a little (or a lot of) extra feta. Enjoy!


I actually made the meatloaves while the girls were down for a nap and put them in the fridge. I made the cucumber topping while they were eating dinner. It made it easy to just pop the meatloaves in the oven after they were down for the night, make some quick mashed potatoes and be done with it!

Kevin humors me by putting up with my Pinterest creations, but he was a big fan of this one. He even asked me to make it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment