Saturday, November 9, 2013

This is Bananas

I love bananas.  I seriously ate one every single morning during my pregnancy.  I never grew tired of them, and they never triggered my gag reflex.

Do you hate when bananas start going brown?  I do.  I'm one of those people that likes bananas when they are still a little bit green on the edges of the peel.

This is a good example of my banana scale below:


Unfortunately, we had five bananas that were a 7, so I decided to make some bread and muffins yesterday while the girls were taking a nap.  Mmmm.  I'm not a huge baked goods person, but I love banana bread.  Especially banana bread made from scratch without all the preservatives and sweeteners added.

Kendall loves muffins, so I decided to make banana / chocolate chip muffins.  I found this recipe on pinterest:
http://jessienextdoor.com/2011/10/09/banana-chocolate-chip-muffins/

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Recipe adapted from www.epicurious.com
Serves 12
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 large egg
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips, as well as more for sprinkling
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a separate medium bowl, mix the mashed bananas, egg, butter, vanilla extract and milk. Stir the banana mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined (do not overmix). Stir in chocolate chips.
Fill muffin liners about 3/4 full (you can also choose to decrease the number of muffins if you like larger muffins). Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top, if desired.
Bake for about 32 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center is free of crumbs. Cool on a wire rack.

The only thing I changed was that I used almond milk in place of cows milk, and I cut the amount of chocolate chips in half.  One cup of chocolate chips was a bit excessive (in my humble opinion!)



YUM!  Kendall kept dragging the bar stools over to the counter to try and hoist herself up to get these.  She LOVES muffins! 
When the muffins were in the oven, I started on the Jamaican Banana Bread.  Bananas with lime, coconut and rum?  Count me in!  Kevin and I went to Jamaica for our fifth wedding anniversary (right before we found out I was pregnant), and I am still pretty much obsessed with anything Jamaican.  You can read about our trip if you're so inclined on my old (janky) blog.   Anyway, this banana bread is fantastic.  The glaze absolutely makes it.  So tasty!  And it's a Cooking Light recipe, so you can't beat it!  Make this right now!

Cooking Light Jamaican Banana Bread

I omitted the pecans from the actual bread itself.  For some reason, I am always highly offended by nuts in things (brownies, breads, cakes, etc).  I still did use them for the glaze, and it was perfect.



And just because I can't do a post without the girls being included:

Kendall on the iPad

Kylie and Kevin rocking out :)



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment